Saturday, August 20, 2016

We're Back!

Guess who's hiring -- again!
Yep, it's been months since my last post. No good excuse for the absence either. I've been really busy and haven't had much to say. Well, I've had a lot to say but most of it was profane and not fit for the internet. So, what's new with me?

First of all, I lost another partner at work. Yep, New Girl left just before Memorial Day, right when things get crazy at work. Like the three before her, New Girl left for a better-paying job in a neighboring city. You'd think management would get a clue. Nope, they just keep hiring people at bargain basement prices, train and certify them, work them to frustration and scratch their heads when people move on. So why am I still here? I guess I'm a glutton for punishment.

In June I discovered that I'm diabetic. You know, I treat my body like shit for 30 years and this is the thanks I get. Not fair; not fair at all. Thanks to this, most of my free time has been spent educating myself on how to live a long and happy life with diabetes. I'm trying to eat better and exercise more -- with moderate success. I've gotten really good about taking my meds and not skipping breakfast. I still haven't completely figured out counting carbs, but I've got my blood sugar under control. Surprisingly, many of the other issues I  had -- constant fatigue, peeing all the time, headaches, inability to sleep despite having no energy -- have almost disappeared. And I've lost fifteen pounds! Sure, it's a drop in the bucket but at least the scale is moving in the right direction.

New family (sort of)
And the biggest news: I have a sister-in-law! After only 16 years, my brother asked his girlfriend to marry him. My entire family (me, hubby, both sons and a girlfriend) flew from Florida to California for the wedding. That was an ordeal. I had to find someone to watch the dogs and someone else to come in the house to take care of the birds and lizard. The logistics of buying plane tickets, reserving hotel rooms, finding a rental car, navigating Southern California and seeing as many people as possible in eight days was quite trying. That being said, it was nice to see everybody. It was also nice to come home to my animals.

While I was gone, it seemed it everything at work blew up. My bosses were calling and texting me before the plane even touch the ground. Currently I have:
  • A dangerous dog case (the owners are deaf which makes communication a lot more difficult)
  • A bad bite case, a rabies alert (rabid raccoon was found 5 miles from work and the community is hysterical)
  • Crossing guard duty (a week before school started it was discovered that the last one wasn't returning so I need to fill in until we can hire a new one)
  • Interviews next week for ACO applicants (cross your fingers, this is our third time advertising in as many months)
  • And way more Dog Club drama than I need
What makes it really bad is that my usual coping mechanisms of booze and brownies are not diabetes friendly. Stupid diabetes. Long story short, I'm a bit overwhelmed right now.

So why am I telling you all this? Well, apparently some people do read my blog. Who knew? I had several family members in California ask about the blog. I've had other people reach out to me on Facebook saying they missed the blog. I didn't know I had regular readers and now I feel like an ass for letting you down. Sorry. Truth is, I didn't have a lot to say. I have a half dozen posts which I started but couldn't find the words to finish. There's probably a few other things I can share too. While we were gone off the grid, Jedi and I continued to train for the nose work trials in October. And work was crazy as ever. I'll share some of these things with you over the next few days. I'm glad you're glad I'm back! Catch you later. -- K

No comments:

Post a Comment