Saturday, June 3, 2017

Hip Report

Back in March I told you that we were taking Jedi and to have his hips and elbows x-rayed. I also told you that the future of his testicles was riding on the results. That post has been viewed over 4500 times! (Much like Hillary Clinton, I blame Russian interference. Unlike Mrs. Clinton, I have proof!) Anyway, we have mixed news about Jedi's OFA scores.

The good news: Jedi's hips are good. There is no evidence of hip dysplasia. Here's his certificate. (I've redacted my address and Jedi's microchip number because they're none of the Russians' damn business.)



The bad news: His right elbow isn't perfect. He has Grade I elbow dysplasia. According to the OFA's official website, that means there is "Minimal bone change along anconeal process of ulna (less than 2mm)." It's a bummer. But the good news is that if we can keep him lean and active, there is no reason he can't live a long, happy, normal life. I'm doing research on glucosamine supplements, should he need them later on. This also mean that I'm also talking to the vet about having Jedi neutered. It's probably a good thing in the long run. He has a slightly enlarged prostate and the vet said neutering would fix that as well.

And me: I'm disappointed. Breeder's talk of putting Jedi into her breeding program had me excited about getting a Jedi pup. *sigh* Now I have no idea when or where my next puppy is coming from. And -- surprisingly -- I'm sad that Jedi's show career is over. It pretty much was anyway, but there was always the chance that we could pick it up again later. Not now. So we'll just focus on having fun with various dog sports instead.

Thanks for following along. Until next time, -- K

No comments:

Post a Comment