I'm limited by time and money (aren't we all?) and try to choose entries carefully. It's even harder now that I have two dogs, each training and competing in different events. Here are my latest conundrum:
The West Volusia Kennel Club shows are September 22 and 23. These are in Deland, about 90 minutes from home. We can drive back and forth daily, forgoing the cost of a hotel.
Fast CAT is being offered Friday through Sunday, twice daily. I'm entering Jedi Saturday and Sunday at $25/run ($100 total).Hopefully this will be enough for him to earn his BCAT title.
I'm waffling on whether or not to enter Trooper in the 6-9 Puppy conformation shows Saturday and Sunday. They're also $25 a show ($50 total). Trooper and I take handling classes twice a week (at $10/class). Trooper improves each time, but I'm not sure he'll be ready by the show. However, I have to decide NOW. Entries close on September 5. With Monday being a holiday, I have to get the entry in the mail by Saturday.
Here's the dilemma:
- I can enter with option of pulling him (and losing the $50) if he's not ready. OR
- I can keep the cash, continue to train, and plan for the shows in Ocala (which will require a hotel stay) in November.
- Monkey Wrench: There's a sanctioned match (a more relaxed practice show) the night before the WVKC shows. The match is cheaper and we can register the day of (though it's cheaper to pre-register). However, the match starts at 7 PM. This would require us to stay in a hotel after all so that we can make Jedi's event Saturday morning.
BTW, October is also fraught with difficult decisions, but I'll save that drama for another time. Too much of my neuroses can be detrimental to normal-brained people. Later, -- K