Saturday, August 25, 2018

Back to Basics

It's round two for me and the whole dog show thing. It's been years since I've been in the ring, so I thought I'd reread a couple of the books I bought when Jedi was a pup. I was hoping to find a few things I might've missed the first time around.

BOOK #1

The first book I picked up was Raising a Champion: A Beginner's Guide to Showing Dogs. I've had this book for years but didn't remember reading it. I must have, as I found a card from Jedi's puppy shower inside it.

This book assumes that the reader has already chosen a puppy. However, everything else is great for the total newbie. Since I'm a Newbie Plus, I glossed over the parts pertaining to:
  • How a dog show works
  • Picking your first show
  • Premium lists
  • Entering a show
  • Ring patterns (though I did stop and look at some of the more obscure ones)
I think I know that stuff well enough. However, I slowed down and reread the parts about:
  • Handling a lead (getting it bunched up in the hand just right takes some coordination!)
  • Teaching a puppy to stack (even though the book doesn't cover the GSD stack or free stacking, it still had some useful tips)
  • Teaching a puppy to gait (I need help here!)
I'm a visual learner and like that this book has lots of pictures. I wish the book addressed the teeth exam better. This is required for GSDs and Jedi hated it. Trooper doesn't like me playing with his mouth either so . . . ugh.

The book was published in 2001 but is still relevant today.


BOOK #2

The second book was The Absolute Beginners Guide to Showing Your Dog. I do remember this book. Many of the pages are dog-eared from the first reading. The pages on how to fill out an entry form are well-worn.

I skipped over a lot of the information about the history of dogs shows, finding the right puppy and navigating the paperwork. The chapters on stacking and anatomy were definitely worth reading again. (Unlike the book above, this one did cover free stacking, which is preferred in the GSD ring.)

I read the warnings about backbiting, poor sportsmanship and judicial bias with a different perspective this time around. In fact, I even had faces to go with some of the sleazy tricks mentioned. (Yeah, I'm talking about you, POS Pro Handler in Perry.)

The book is divided into five sections:
  • Is Showing Right for You?
  • Basic Training
  • Mechanical Skills
  • Paperwork and Paraphernalia
  • Showtime
Each chapter starts off with an "In This Chapter" list, and ends with a "Remember" list of key points for quick reference and review.

I really liked the sidebars. Divided into four categories -- Fancy That, Talking Dog, Watch Your Step! and Tips From the Pros -- these bite-sized nuggets are spread throughout the book. There are also several appendices with useful information. However, this book was also published in 2001 so some information is outdated.

This book is perfect if you're in a hurry (i.e. puppy is napping) or you have a short attention span (like me).

Both of these books are worth reading. They do a nice job demystifying the world of dog shows. That said, each author tells the new fancier that books are no substitute for handling class. SO TRUE! Trooper and I go to class once a week and do some (but not enough) reviewing at home in between. I'll share how that's coming along later. See you around the ring, -- K

No comments:

Post a Comment