Monday, August 13, 2018

Check That Chip

The American Veterinary Medical Association has declared August 15 Check the Chip Day.
As an animal control officer, I'm a big microchip advocate. I return chipped animals all the time. Remember Elsa's story?

All my dogs are microchipped. However, each one has been registered under a different agency: Home Again, AVID and 24 Pet Watch. If the worst happened and my dogs got out, the shelter would have to make multiple calls to discover they all belong to me. Well, not anymore.

I discovered the Michelson Found Animals Registry and registered all the chips. This is completely free. They don't charge to register or update. I strongly suggest you do it too. Not chipped? Talk to your vet about it next time you go. I've also seen traveling vet clinics, animals shelters and humane societies offer low cost chips. Below is an infographic from the AVMA.

Infographic: Microchip Your Pet

No comments:

Post a Comment