- These dogs hate to be bored. If you don't provide appropriate mental stimulation, they will find something to do -- and you probably won't like it.
- Mental exercise will wear out a dog faster than physical exercise. A tired dog = a happy owner.
Apparently, what I've been doing is called enrichment and it has become the "next big thing" in the dog community. There are books, seminars, online classes and FB groups dedicated to canine enrichment. Cool beans! Looking for ideas? Here are some of the things that I've done with my dogs. Enjoy!
- DIY Cavaletti -- pick up those back feet
- Fleece Tug Toys -- fun from the remnant bin
- Giant Pupsicle -- great beat the heat fun
- Ice Pool -- 60 pounds of ice? Yes please!
- Snuffle Mat -- use that nose
- Spin the Bottle -- not just for teenagers anymore
- Travel Plank -- for a better balanced dog
- Muffin Tin Game -- work that nose
- Perching -- plant those front feet
- Tap Light -- Jedi's first trick!
Toys & Products
- Chuck It! -- never touch a spitty ball again
- Hide-a-Squirrel -- Jedi's favorite
- JW Hol-ee Ball -- a good laugh
- Kong Wobbler -- a favorite in our house
- Slow Bowl -- slows down the chow hound
- Mix It Up -- 10 ways to show your dog some love
- Pet-Friendly Businesses -- be a good ambassador
- Silly Games -- some of our favorites
- Take a Walk -- it's good for both of you
- Try a New Sport -- there are more than you think
I'll keep adding to the list as I find things, so come back soon! Do you have something we should try? Let me know. Later, -- K