|Jedi's new collar.|
And what's a birthday party without a cake? I considered buying one (we have some nice doggie bakeries in town) but changed my mind and made it myself. Unlike my children, Jedi doesn't care if his birthday cake is ugly and lopsided. I tried a different recipe from last year.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2/3 cup (about 1 1/3 sticks) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 jar of strained beef baby food
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup (a 2.5 oz. package) real bacon bits
- Whipped cream cheese spread for frosting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Stir flour and baking powder together in a mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, cream together the butter, oil, baby food and eggs.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients, then stir in the bacon bits. Batter will be the consistency of cookie dough.
- Pour into a greased and floured 8"X8" baking pan. (I used a 7"X10" bone-shaped silicone mold, so no flouring.)
- Bake approximately 35-40 minutes, or until the center of the cake springs back when lightly poked.
- When cooled, frost with cream cheese.
Look, here's a picture of the birthday boy. Do you think he's having a good time? (Regular readers know Jedi hates wearing hats, so this picture is pretty amazing.)
Happy Birthday Jedi!
Finally, music for the festivities. I'd like to close with a stoooopid -- but funny -- video from MTV called "It's My Dog's Birthday." (Apparently this is a parody of an offensive, profanity-ridden song not worth listening to.)
Thanks for celebrating us. Now for Jedi's real presents -- extra play time and belly rubs! Catch you later. -- K
P.S. We're linking up with Rascal and Rocco and joining today's pet parade. It's a virtual party! Click around and see who else is here today.