Thursday, November 6, 2014

No Thoughts Before Coffee

Put a German shepherd face on this and you
have my morning wake up call.
Jedi is up with the chickens and ready to take on the day. He's a great dog for morning people. There's only one problem:
 
We are not morning people.
 
Jedi wakes up between 5:30 and 6:00 every morning -- no alarm clock needed. He has this move we call "the Shamu" where he jumps up and slides the front half of his body onto the foot of the bed with a giant grin on his face. It has all the flare (and force) of an orca at a SeaWorld show. When the Shamu move doesn't work, he will not-so-gently tap you with his cold, wet nose. Repeatedly. And his "Get Up" whine rivals any annoying alarm clock I've ever owned. The worst part of all: there is no snooze button.

           OMG, I WANT this mug!
I get up with him every morning -- though not always by choice -- and shuffle to the back door to let him out. While he's bouncing, sniffing and peeing I'll make coffee. Several moments later he'll start barking I shuffle back to door and call him back in with a "quit-barking-dammit-the-neighbors-don't-want-to-hear-that-shit-this-early-in-the-morning" grunt. On work days I stumble back to the bathroom to start my day. I'm functional after a long shower and a cup of coffee. On my days off I'll give Jedi a chew toy and (hopefully) catch an extra 30 to 45 minutes of sleep on the couch while coffee's brewing. I'm usually cognizant by 8:00. Either way, the house rule is: "Don't talk to Mommy before coffee." (Not surprisingly, both my children learned how to make coffee while still in grade school.) 

Me minus the hair and make-up. Seriously,
who can do make-up before coffee?!
But today there was a coffee catastrophe. Sometime between yesterday morning and this morning my airtight plastic coffee container had been moved to the stove and the bottom melted. While I was trying to scoop grounds from the top of the container, the rest of the grounds were pouring out the bottom onto the stove, counter and floor. Before I fully comprehended what was going on I had a pound of coffee strewn all over my kitchen. This was quite a predicament -- especially considering that I hadn't had my coffee!

Have no fear, I soldiered through and was able to clean up the grounds and still make coffee. It must be kicking in too, because I can actually put sentences together and everything! But I need to cut this short and head to Walmart for coffee and another airtight container to keep it in. I can't do this two days in a row.


It's Thoughtless Thursday. Click around and see what others are thinking -- or NOT thinking -- about today. -- K

No comments:

Post a Comment