Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Conformation Classes

Trooper and I go to conformation handling classes twice a week -- Tuesday nights and Thursday mornings. It's a 45 minute drive each way. I'd like to think we're making progress. Hubby went with me last week and took a few pictures. The lighting was bad and the camera phone is old, so please excuse the picture quality.

I'm still trying to get Trooper to walk into a stack. He'll stack himself beautifully when I'm not asking for it (like in the middle of the living room when I'm trying to watch TV). The picture below shows his profile. Trooper's puppy face is maturing nicely. I think he's looking like a boy dog. The breed standard for German shepherds states that ideally "sex characteristics are strongly marked, and every animal gives a definite impression of masculinity or femininity, according to its sex."


Trooper shows his bite very nicely. However, he still shies away from the physical exam from time to time (the main reason I would pull him from the DeLand shows). I have as many people as possible touch him at class, hoping to desensitize him. He is also given LOTS of yummy treats during class. Trooper is a junk food junkie. We're hoping he will associate strangers touching him with goodies.


Trooper has a beautiful gait. Me, not so much. This training facility has a small ring so getting him to open up is difficult. Next week a handling class will start at K-9 Obedience Club (my other dog club) on Wednesday nights. It'll be held in a larger, outdoor ring and we'll be able to work on gaiting. I need to be able to move at the speed where his reach and drive are shown.


Trooper likes to hang his tongue out the side of his mouth. It makes him look like a doofus, but it matches his personality. This is the goofball puppy I know and love! BTW, do you see the size of his feet?! I was hoping Trooper would be smaller than Jedi, but I'm starting to have doubts.


Again, sorry about the picture quality. I've been getting questions about how training is going. The is the best I can give you right now. We're still a work in progress. Trust me, showing dogs is not as easy as it looks on TV!

Thanks for the continued support, helpful tips and words of encouragement. Love you all! -- K

No comments:

Post a Comment