Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Jedi Goes to Work

Next Friday, June 21, is National Take Your Dog to Work Day. How cool is that? Apparently the ability to take your dog to work with you is a big deal. I have even seen a website advertising dog-friendly work places. Surprisingly, it's not just the mom and pop stores you would normally think of. I also found an online article that highlights ten dog-friendly workplaces, including Google and Ben & Jerry's.

One of the perks of my job is that I don't need to wait for a special day. I often bring Jedi to work on Sundays. He'll stay for about half a day then hubby will come and pick him up before he becomes overwhelmed. It's nice having Jedi ride around in the truck with me. He keeps me company and helps pass the time. He has even helped me with calls! One day there was a guy with a poodle that had gotten off its leash. Every time the guy would try to grab the poodle it would run just outside of his reach. The poodle thought this was a great game; the owner not so much. The dog wouldn't come to me either, so I came up with an idea: let's play a different game. I pulled Jedi out of the truck and asked the man to pet my dog while ignoring his. We made a big show fawning over Jedi and gave him several cookies (Jedi liked this game). Pretty soon the poodle came over to see what was going on and we snatched him up. Game over Curly!

Normally Sundays are pretty slow around here -- but not yesterday! I checked on and immediately had back to back calls. The dispatcher offered to watch Jedi while I chased wayward dogs. Jedi didn't like staying at the station while I was on a call. He whined and paced and looked for me. The dispatcher thought it was so funny that she took pictures and posted them on Facebook under the heading "Where's Mommy?"




 






I was back within the hour and we spent the rest of the morning patrolling the city and writing reports. It was pretty uneventful. I'm glad I had Jedi by my side. -- K

No comments:

Post a Comment