Friday, May 1, 2015

Castaway Island Preserve

I got my pants wet and dirty for this pic -- I'm
serious about the "boggy" thing!
As I discovered for National Take a Walk in the Park Day, Jacksonville has over 250 parks -- yet Jedi and I use the same six all the time. I thought maybe we should start exploring some of the others.
 
The weather was absolutely gorgeous on my birthday so we ventured out to Castaway Island Preserve. This nice little park butts up against the salt marsh. It's tucked away between two subdivisions on a busy road. You really have to look for the signs or you'll miss it.
 
There's plenty of parking and public toilets. There are benches and barbecue grills scattered around the parking lot. All the walkways are concrete or raised boardwalk. There is no shade on the walkways, so wear sunscreen. It's an easy stroll with informational signs along the way. If you go, stay on the path because the ground is very boggy.
 
There is no entry fee into the park. Dogs are permitted on leash only. There is one poop bag station and only a few trash cans. If you can't get your dog to potty on command, expect to carry around a full poop bag for a while.

Jedi and I had a nice, leisurely walk and took a few nice pictures too. Now I'm excited to try out another park! How about you? Have you discovered a new park lately? Let us know! -- K
 
My favorite travelling companion! He even carries his own water and poop bags.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment