Thursday, January 18, 2018

Choose The Dog!

Sometimes my job is frustrating. Last week I really wanted to slap the daylights out of a woman. The police asked me to come to a residence and look at a dog. The dog owner said the dog had been bleeding from his ear and nose. I looked at the dog. His eyes were bright, pupils even, nose clear, ears clean.

The conversation went something like this:

ME: I don't see any signs of trauma, but you should probably take him to the vet to be sure. What happened?

WOMAN: He kicked my dog.

ME: Who is "he"?

WOMAN: My boyfriend.

ME: Did you see him kick your dog?

WOMAN: No, but sometimes he get frustrated and kicks my dog.

ME: Why are you dating someone who kicks dogs?

WOMAN: How do I get him to stop?

ME: Have you tried "Dude, don't kick my effing dog?"

WOMAN: Yeah, but he doesn't listen.

ME: I'm not telling you how to live your life, but if a man kicked my dog, he would no longer be in my life.

WOMAN: I love him so much. I don't want to lose him.

ME: Your boyfriend?

WOMAN: No, my dog.

ME: What?!

WOMAN: He said it was him or the dog.

ME: And you're choosing the abusive one over the one who licks your face?

WOMAN: Yeah . . .

I wish I could say that I changed her mind. I didn't. I gave her my card. The police officers stayed and talked to her for a while longer. They didn't make any progress either. I don't know what to do.

So, here again, is Jedi's Public Service Announcement:



People suck. -- K


No comments:

Post a Comment