Friday, October 26, 2018

Dreaming & Scheming

Every year the German Shepherd Dog Club of America hosts a week of dog shows and events. The Nationals, as they're called, showcase everything German Shepherds can do: conformation, obedience, rally, tracking, herding, dock diving, lure coursing and more. Amongst the competitions are educational programs, awards, dinners, vendors, contests, socializing and networking. The GSDCA 2018 National shows just ended. I've been following it on Facebook all week. Not surprisingly,

I want to go.

Wednesday was a slow day at work. I was patrolling the beach, deep in my own thoughts and scrolling through Facebook. The pictures from the shows are amazing. I thought "Gee, I'd like to go to Nationals someday." Then a little voice in my head reminded me that I'm not getting any younger. Jerk.

That same voice told me to "piss or get off the pot" two years ago. (Sorry, the voices in my head have potty mouths.) Long story short: I listened to the voices and ended up at the Westminster Kennel Club dog show last February! It was a trip of a lifetime. GSD people tell me that Westminster pales in comparison to Nationals. It's all German Shepherds, all week long. So . . . I'm seriously looking into going to Nationals.

The location of Nationals moves around the country (though they've been in Missouri a lot lately). The 2019 GSDCA National shows will be in Loveland, Colorado. They'll be at the Larimer County Fairgrounds and Events Complex ("The Ranch") October 5 through 12. I've contacted RK, Blondie and Red to see if they're up for another adventure. Going with friends divides the cost and multiplies the fun.

Between you and me, I'm terrified. (I'm telling you this because the girls don't read my blog!) There's no tour package like we had for Westminster. We're going to have to negotiate flights, hotel costs and a rental car all on our own. There are so many variables! It's harder for me to budget when we're doing this piecemeal. BUT . . . it's not impossible. I'm writing this down and sharing with my blogging buddies because it's harder to back out this way. (Yes, you're being used. 😁)

Anyway, enough of the soul bearing, I need to wash the dogs. They've got a big weekend coming up and need to look pretty. Hopefully I'll have good news for you on Monday. Later, -- K

No comments:

Post a Comment