Welcome any new readers (please leave a comment!) and welcome back returning readers. (Hi Mom!) This is Kelley's Dog Blog, a strange glimpse into the life of a crazy dog lady and her dogs -- enjoy! For those who don't know me, I'm an animal control officer, an avid reader, a wife, a mother, a dog lover and an active member of the community. I try (poorly) to juggle it all.
(LOOK! My first interview!)
1. When did you begin your blog?I began blogging last summer after losing my heart dog, Logan. As I was working through the grief with my rescued dog, Roxy, I was presented with the opportunity to fulfill a lifelong dream -- showing an AKC German shepherd. One problem, I'm clueless!
2. What was your original purpose for starting a blog?I wanted to share my feelings about dogs -– mine and others. I wanted to document my efforts and share tons of adorable puppy pictures. Who doesn't like puppy pictures?!
3. Is your current purpose the same?Yes. I don’t know who reads it -– if anybody. However, I find it very cathartic. Who knew I was such an exhibitionist!
4. How often do you post?I post every 3 or 4 days, averaging 7-10 posts a month. It's amazing how fast they add up!
5. Do you blog on a schedule or as the spirit moves you?I post when I have the time and something to say. I’m never positive that something is “post-worthy.” But then again, when you don’t really have an actual following, it doesn’t matter much.
6. How much time do you spend writing your blog per week? How much time visiting other blogs? Share your tips for staying on top of it all.It takes a lot longer to craft a post than one would think! I can spend hours on a simple 4 paragraph post. There’s a lot of tweaking. Since this is my first blog, I chose a free, user friendly site. However, there are a lot of limitations to the layout and number of photos I can post. I can spend as much time formatting as writing.
I LOVE visiting other blogs, though don’t have the time I’d like to visit them all regularly. I enjoy adding links to the gems I find in my blog. I'm always amazed at what other people write.
7. How do you measure the success of a post and of your blog in general (comments, shares, traffic)? Do you look strictly at the numbers, or do you have a way of assessing the quality of those interactions?I link my blog to Facebook. I get tickled every time a friend calls and says “Hey, I saw your blog . . .” Most of the comments I get are on FB as well. I don't look at numbers.
8. If you could ask the pet blogging community for help with one issue you’re having with your blog, what would it be?I’d like people other than immediate friends and family to view the blog. I’d also like to know some of the more “technical” aspects of blog layout. I'm so impressed by the look and organization of some of the more established blogs.
9. What goals do you have for your blog in 2013?I’m entering the world of Dog Showing. I’d like to be able to share it from a Newbie's point of view. I’d also like to discuss some of the issues that face dog owners – ordinance changes, pet-friendly venues, medical issues, etc. – here in Florida and elsewhere. As an animal control officer I often get info that others don't, and I LOVE to share what I know. I’d like to be able to start dialogs with my readers.
This is a blog hop. Please take a look at some of the other brave souls below who were also willing to bare all. Thanks. Hope to see you again soon! -- K