- 5 pounds ground beef, 80% lean
- 6 cups Whole Grain Total cereal, crushed
- 7 1/2 cups uncooked, quick-cooking oats
- 6 hard boiled eggs, chopped with shells
- 2 cups wheat germ
- 5 envelopes Knox unflavored gelatin
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2/3 cup unsulfured molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh minced garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
Reasoning behind these ingredients:
- Beef adds calories and improves coat.
- Cereal provides vitamins A, C, D, E, B6 and B12, calcium, iron, thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, folic acid, phosphorus, magnesium and zinc.
- Oats provide fiber.
- Eggs provide calories and biotin. Eggs are cooked because of salmonella concerns.
- Wheat germ provides vitamin E, folic acid, phosphorus, thiamine, zinc and magnesium.
- Gelatin holds ingredients together and also adds collagen and nitrogen.
- Oil helps coat.
- Molasses provides manganese, copper, iron, calcium, potassium, magnesium and vitamin B6.
- This is A LOT to mix. My giant (32 cup) Tupperware That's-A-Bowl could barely hold everything. I made a mess. (Roxy helped clean it up. What a sweetheart!)
- I spent hours rolling balls -- and now my back hurts.
- I don't know how much 2-3 day's worth of balls would be. I arbitrarily chose eight, and still used 30 Ziploc bags.
|P.S. Jedi gives the satin balls two ears up!|