Tuesday, September 22, 2015

I Can't Do It All

. . . And that just drives me nuts.

Jedi works that nose
K-9 Obedience Club of Jacksonville is working really hard to bring Nose Work trials to North Florida. Many of our members compete in Canine Nose Work and have to travel hundreds of miles to attend a trial.

I've shared that Jedi and I took a few Nose Work classes last year. It's something that we enjoyed and I like the thought of going further. K-9 is hosting a seminar in November, and I made sure to sign up right away. Rumor has it that K-9 will be hosting a Nose Work trial very soon. A venue has been chosen and final details are being hammered out as we speak. [Insert squeals of delight here.]

Jedi works that ring
Then why am I so annoyed? Because before a dog can compete in a trial, it has to pass the Odor Recognition Test (ORT) for the targeted scent(s) -- sweet birch, anise and/or clove depending on your level. And K-9 has set up ORTs for November 1st. Unfortunately, that is the second day of the IABCA shows in Ocala. GRRR.

I've gone back and forth over this for several weeks now. I feel that attending the IABCA shows is the better choice. As I mentioned previously, the critiques made there may affect the rest of Jedi's conformation career. However, the biggest frustration is that if we ditch conformation, Nose Work is the route I want to take. Again GRRR. And I've looked, there are only two other ORT opportunities in Florida between October and January. Both of them are a 250+ mile trip -- not easy for a dog who doesn't like to travel.

So, what's a girl to do? I don't know. Keep looking? Trust it'll all work out? Pray? Swear and throw a hissy fit? (My personal favorite.) Again, I don't really know what to do. But I'll keep you posted on how it turns out. Wish us luck. -- K

No comments:

Post a Comment