|Jedi and I working on the Front position|
- Familiarize everybody with the breed standard, terminology and what makes a GSD
- Get out more with our dogs
- Energize meetings with door prizes, guest speakers and mini-workshops
- Network with other local dog clubs/groups
- Reinstate weekly training meetings
- We had a trainer willing to do the classes, but she’s 75 and doesn’t like to drive at night. This means we had to find a training site that was close to her.
- It was hard to get club members involved. Everyone said they’d like weekly training but very few were willing to look for a location.
- We had a member with the space on his property, but his home owners insurance said no, despite that fact that our club has a $1 million policy.
- We approached a couple businesses, but they said no, even though the Club has insurance.
- We found a few City parks but they were either too far, closed at dusk, poorly lit at night, or prohibited dogs.
- THEN we had a hard time picking a date/time for weekly training. (And when we finally did people complained about the drive. GRRR.)
So how's training going? Pretty good! We're only three weeks into it, so . . . Currently we’re working on socialization and basic obedience/rally skills. Our goal is to enter the Rally Novice trials in October. I look forward to sharing Jedi’s progress. Later, -- K