Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Fat Dogs, Skinny Dogs & Bad Neighbors

I get calls all the time that are really more about people disputes than anything else. Animals are just a way for angry neighbors to get back at each other. Yes, it's sad.

Recently I got a complaint about emaciated dogs on Azalea Way. Seriously, the woman said "emaciated." (Some people watch waaaay too much Animal Planet.) I agreed to do a welfare check.

I was surprised to see three healthy pit bulls. They were solid muscle. I could feel the ribs (but not put my fingers between them) and they each had visible waistlines when viewed from above. WOW. The owner was pissed to see me. She stated that her dogs eat high quality food and exercise regularly. She even showed me the report from their recent vet visit. The she vented about the bitch next door -- parking, disputes over parties and who does and does not put their trash out according to the HOA rules.

Later that afternoon I visited the complainant (AKA the bitch next door). I told her that the dogs in question were fine. Again, she used the word "emaciated." I tried to explain my findings, but she didn't seem to understand what I was saying. Then I saw her dogs. They looked like giant engorged ticks with Labrador heads. There were no waistlines, and I couldn't feel ribs no matter how hard I pressed. They were so overweight that there were wrinkly, fatty lumps at the base of their tails.

When I suggested that her dogs were "a little overweight" (AKA morbidly obese) she became defensive and started complaining about the neighbor -- loud music, excessive beer bottles in the recycle bin, and overgrown hedges. See where this is going? As an afterthought, she said that the dogs bark too much while locked outside during those loud parties.

I gave the complainant a copy of the ordinance and agreed to talk to the neighbor about barking. I also left her this handout:

Download a pdf version for yourself here.

Obesity is rampant in the United States, among people and pets alike. It seems that our animals are sharing the sedentary lifestyle. Too many snacks and too little exercise has become the American way. The Association for Pet Obesity Prevention has been keeping track of pet obesity for years. A 2017 clinical study found that 50% of dogs and 60% of cats for classified as clinically overweight (a body condition score of 6-7) or obese (a body condition score 8-9) by their veterinary healthcare professional. That's roughly 50.2 million dumpy dogs and 56.5 million fat cats.

Before you blow this off and give your pet another treat, consider the problems that can accompany excess weight:
  • Decreased stamina
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Intolerance to heat
  • High blood pressure
  • Diabetes or insulin resistance
  • Liver disease
  • Heart disease
  • Bladder stones
  • Osteoarthritis
  • Increased risk with anesthesia
  • Decreased immune system
  • Increased risk of all types of cancer

So what if you look down and discover your GSD is a little husky? Been there, done that! We overindulged Roxy after Logan passed and before we knew it she was carrying an extra 10 pounds. That's a lot when you're supposed to be a svelte 65 pounds. Taking weight off a dog is the same process as with people. Basically, less calories and more exercise in a slow, methodical way. And it's a lot easier said than done!

You should consult your veterinarian to make sure there's no underlying health issues causing the weight gain. However, diets that are rich in protein and fiber but low in fat are what work best. Depending on the prognosis, your vet may prescribe a special reduced-calorie dog food. With Roxy we were able to decrease her evening meal by half and add green beans or carrots. The vegetables made her feel full, but had no caloric value. We also increased her exercise slowly, giving her several good walks a day. It took about 6 months, but Roxy lost all the weight. Other tips:
  • Cut your treats. To Jedi and Trooper, half a Milk-Bone is just as good as a full Milk-Bone. This is an easy way to stretch your puppy budget. And it's easier than trying to convince your indulgent husband to cut back on the cookies.
  • Buy small. There are some great 1-calorie training treats out there. I also buy treats designed for small dogs.
  • Account for training. I know we're going to go through a bag of chicken at class, so the dogs will only get half a meal beforehand.
  • Be creative. My dogs love ice. I don't know why, but it's a fun zero calorie treat for them. They also like apple chunks, which are lower in calories higher in fiber and a lot better for them than Pupperoni.
  • Check around. There are dozens of dog bloggers like me sharing tips. For example, Pamela over at Something Wagging This Way Comes has a nice post on 30 Best Cheap And Safe Dog Treats From The Supermarket with some fun ideas.

Before I go, let me tell you about one of my regulars. We'll call him "Jack." I run into him while on patrol all the time. He's lonely and likes to chat. Lucky me. One of Jack's favorite topics is his American Bull Dog, Brutus. "Brutus is 120 pounds of solid muscle. He eats 7 cups of food a day." Bah, blah, blah . . . I heard Brutus stories for months. Then one day I met Brutus. He's not a muscular American Bull Dog, he's a morbidly obese pit mix. Poor thing. I tried to gently share some of the information above with him but it fell on deaf ears. In frustration, I made another meme And with that I have a warning:

DON'T BE LIKE JACK.

Do you have any other tips? Please share! -- K

No comments:

Post a Comment