Sunday, January 20, 2019

2019 Pet Blogger Challenge

Oh my, where did time go? I was finally getting the hang of 2018 then -- poof -- it's 2019. And it's already time for the Pet Blogger Challenge! This annual hop is a fun way for pet bloggers worldwide to share their thoughts on blogging:
  • What works?
  • What doesn't?
  • What would you like to do better?
  • What can others do help?
What a great community! With the answers to just a few questions I learn so much about blogging and other bloggers. Sometimes I even learn something about myself. A giant thank you to Amy at Go Pet Friendly (one of my favorite pet blogs) for hosting this every year. Without further ado, the questions:

Logan
1. For those who may be visiting your blog for the first time, how long have you been blogging and what is your main topic?

I started blogging in 2012 after I lost my heart dog, Logan, as a way to work through the grief. The blog was depressing, so I don't recommend you read it. Things got better with the arrival of new puppies, Jedi and more recently, Trooper. Kelley's Dog Blog is my story: A disorganized, uncoordinated woman who tries to enter the world of dog shows/dog sports. I’m waaay out of my league, but I'm having fun. Along the way I share some of my misadventures as an animal control officer in a small beach town. I drink too much wine, eat too many carbs and may or may not have homicidal fantasies. I blog because it's cheaper than therapy. I never expected anybody to read my blog. Apparently my sarcastic, slightly neurotic thoughts are entertaining. Or maybe people just want to look at pictures of beautiful dogs.

2. What was your proudest blogging moment of 2018?

I was able to blog from the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show! I've wanted to go for decades, but never found the time, money or ability. Every February I'd watch it on TV and say "Someday . . ." In 2016 a friend told me to "piss or get off the pot" and reminded me that we're not getting any younger. That was the kick in the pants that I needed. This Florida girl researched, planned, saved and made it to NYC to see the show.

3. What was the biggest blogging challenge you faced in 2018, and how did/will you tackle it?

Apathy. Somewhere along the way I became overwhelmed with life, work and some personal issues. Stress turned to depression and I shut down. I didn't care about anything. It sucked! A new puppy helped me snap out of it. (BTW, new puppy not recommended for everyone.)

4. Which of your 2018 blog posts was your favorite and why? (Please include a link.)

Saving Elsa was a good day on the job. They're not always good.

Missing for months and found in a ravine

5. Which of your 2018 posts was most popular with your audience? Why do you think it does so well?

The post that got the most hits last year was Sniffing Again. I guess people like to see dogs working. I know I do! I'm looking forward to sharing more dogs-in-action posts this year.

Trooper's cousin before the 2018 shows
6. Did you implement a new series, feature, or practice on your blog in 2018 that you’re enjoying?

I did! I have a series about putting together a dog show. In 2017 my German Shepherd Dog Club was thrown for a loop. The women who had organized our annual dog shows for the last 8 years quit. Just. Like. That. A friend and I decided that rather than losing our AKC sanction, we'd do it. Surprisingly, we pulled it off, albeit awkwardly and on the fly. The series didn't fare well with regular readers, but I like knowing it's out there for the person who needs it. I have a page full of links for the clueless Dog Show Newbie. Nothing thrills me more than when I get a message from a DSN saying thanks.

7. As the social media landscape changes, how are you promoting your blog posts and connecting with new readers?

LOL. I'm not. (See answer #1.) I really suck at this stuff. However, I did recently join Instagram and am having fun with that. Can I even link my blog to Instagram?


8. Looking forward to 2019, if you accomplish only one thing through your blog, what do you hope it is?

Humor. There's a fine line between sarcasm and surliness and I think I may have crossed it somewhere along the way. At my age I am way past brooding maiden and dangerously close to bitter old crone. Note to self: Mean ≠ funny.

9. What steps are you planning to take to ensure you reach your goal?

Booze? Brownies? Profanity? Seriously, I don't know.

10. Now it’s your turn! How can we help? Is there an area where you could use some advice, or an aspect of your blog that you’d like input on? Share it here, and we’ll answer you in comments!

My posts are irregular and the content is all over the place (much like my life) and I think I've lost many regular visitors because of it. How do those of you with successful blogs pull it off?

So there you go! Comments, questions and constructive criticisms are most welcome. I look forward to spending time with you all in 2019. But for now I'm off to see what others are sharing. Later, -- K

P.S. This is a blog hop. Click on the links below to discover some pretty cool blogs!


No comments:

Post a Comment