Friday, January 25, 2019

Why ACO?

I was asked a strange question today: Why did I choose to become an ACO? Wow. That one threw me for a loop. I didn't have an answer.

Honestly, I became an animal control officer by accident. My husband retired from the Navy in 2005 and we quickly discovered that I could not remain a stay-at-home mom on his retirement pay. No matter, the boys were getting older and didn't need me around like they had before. Up until then I had worked with children as a room mother, den leader, camp counselor, a retail vendor of high-end children's books and an educational assistant for children with learning and behavioral issues. I was good at what I did, but kids weren't my passion. I really wanted to be a zookeeper. (L-O-N-G story for another time. Short version -- elephants are awesome!) Unfortunately, that never came to fruition.

I applied for 20+ jobs in a 2-month period, focusing on animal related positions -- veterinary offices, boarding kennels, pet stores, etc. I got a few callbacks but the employer always "went with someone else." It was disheartening. I saw an ad for Animal Control Officer online and filled out an application with no expectations. Surprise! The County called me back.

Me & my M-14 in Gaeta, Italy
The interview was like none I'd seen before. A panel of three people were firing questions at me, and some of them didn't make any sense. Why did they want to know the last book I'd read? (My answer was John Grisham's The Client. Dead people drama. Oops.) And when asked to describe a time I had to make a difficult decision under pressure I told them about how I nearly shot four Italian divers in a Zodiac raft because I thought they were terrorists trying to bomb the USS Yosemite. (It's a good story!) I finished with "840 American lives depended on my decision." They all looked at me in silence, wide-eyed and open mouthed. I knew I'd blown the interview.

Months later I was offered the job. I became friends with one of the guys on the panel. One day I asked why I was chosen when obviously I wasn't qualified. He laughed and said "We couldn't get over that story about the Italians." The director felt that qualities like problem-solving, courage and honor were paramount -- they could teach ACO skills.

I transferred to a small beach town 18 months later because they offered me better benefits, shorter commute, less euthanasia and a schedule flexible enough for me to finish my Bachelor's degree. Long time readers know I have a love/hate relationship with the job. I'm good at it -- I like rules, have a compassion for animals (and some people), think on my feet, multitask well, and have a thick skin and strong stomach.

Just another day on the job
On the other hand, this job is frustrating. I get tired of dealing with stupid people. Even worse are the cruel, callous people. I feel like I've done about all I can do in this small town. There is no room for advancement or professional growth. My "collateral duties" are unbelievable. I often wonder what else is out there. And I worry that I've been here too long. Is it even possible to switch careers at 50?

And then the big question: What then would you like to do? IDK. I love to learn and share what I know. (One of the reasons I continue to write this blog, even though only a dozen of you read it!) I've often thought that Humane Educator would nicely marry my work/volunteer experience with my degree in Workforce Education and Development but -- sigh -- neither the Zoo nor the Humane Society seem to want me. Any ideas from you guys?

So, while waiting for the next job to come around (hopefully soon) I'll continue to do my best at this one. And I'll continue to share those crazy, funny, frustrating stories. Later, -- K

No comments:

Post a Comment