Monday, January 28, 2019

Catch of the Day

I got a strange call just after lunch today. There was an owl stuck in the ditch and a crowd was forming. Great. My tools and training are for dogs and cats, so I was going to have to wing it (pun intended). I grabbed a box out of the recycle bin, a roll of packing tape, a pair of welding gloves and a net. I may or may not have sworn under my breath. (Just kidding! You know I swore like a sailor.)

I arrived on scene to find a group of Good Samaritans who wanted something done, but didn't want to do more than gawk and get in the way. I hate having an audience.

First thing I noticed: this was more than a ditch. It was the major stream that runs through the City. I saw an owl sitting in the water about five feet below me. I was able to climb down the bank and scoop the owl out of the water on my first try -- and without falling in! Seriously, it could have been ugly.

Barred owl
Getting the owl from the net into the box was more difficult than it could have been. The owl wrapped it's talons in the mesh and didn't want to let go. My welding gloves protect my fingers from the beak and talons but provide no dexterity. I ended up closing the box, leaving only a foot exposed. I had a cop work the box flaps while I slowing pried the talons out of the net one by one -- sans gloves! We taped the box shut tight and cut a few holes in the top. I loaded the box on my truck and took it to the ferry. The Bird Emergency Aid and Kare Sanctuary (B.E.A.K.S.) picked the owl up from the other side of the river. Hopefully it'll be better soon.

My best guess is that it was a barred owl. I didn't take any pictures. So many things could have gone wrong that I was more worried about getting out as quickly as possible. However, a bystander took this (unflattering) picture and sent it to my boss, who promptly posted it on Facebook. I've shared my feeling about work putting me on Facebook before (recap: I hate it). But that doesn't stop me from stealing the pic to share with you.

So . . . how was your Monday? -- K

No comments:

Post a Comment