Wednesday, May 1, 2013

S.T.A.R. Puppy Grad

Two months ago Jedi and I started our S.T.A.R. Puppy class. Tonight was graduation and we passed! The "test" included the following 20 requirements:

OWNER BEHAVIORS:
 
1. Maintains puppy’s health (vaccines, exams, appears
    healthy)
2. Owner receives Responsible Dog Owner’s Pledge (below)
3. Owner describes adequate daily play and exercise plan
4. Owner and puppy attend at least 6 classes by an AKC
    Approved CGC Evaluator
5. Owner brings bags to classes for cleaning up after puppy
6. Owner has obtained some form of ID for puppy -- collar
    tag, etc.


PUPPY BEHAVIORS:
 
7.   Free of aggression toward people during at least 6 weeks of class
8.   Free of aggression toward other puppies in class
9.   Tolerates collar or body harness of owner’s choice
10. Owner can hug or hold puppy (depending on size)
11. Puppy allows owner to take away a treat or toy

PRE-CANINE GOOD CITIZEN TEST BEHAVIORS:
 
12. Allows petting by a person other than the owner
13. Allows owner handling and brief exam (ears, feet)
14. Follows owner on lead in a straight line (15 steps)
15. Walks on leash past other people 5 feet away
16. Sits on command
17. Down on command
18. Comes to owner from 5 feet when name is called
19. Normal reaction to distractions (distractions are presented 15 feet away)
20. Stays on leash with another person (owner walks 10 steps and returns)

We're going spend this evening feeling good about our accomplishment. Tomorrow we start prepping for Saturday's Fun Match. This includes a bath for Jedi and lots of packing for me! We'll have to find another obedience class soon. Jedi is getting bigger and stronger and doesn't walk on a leash nearly as nicely as I'd like. I know it's my fault. I need to be more consistent with practicing. The accountability of a class helps. Eventually I'd like to work on getting Jedi's Canine Good Citizen, especially now that it's a title! -- K
 
 
 
AKC CGC Responsible Dog Owner’s Pledge

I will be responsible for my dog’s health needs. These include:
  • routine veterinary care including check-ups and vaccines
  • adequate nutrition through proper diet; clean water at all times
  • daily exercise and regular bathing and grooming
I will be responsible for my dog’s safety.
  • I will properly control my dog by providing fencing where appropriate, not letting my dog run loose, and using a leash in public.
  • I will ensure that my dog has some form of identification when appropriate (which may include collar tags, tattoos, or microchip ID).
  • I will provide adequate supervision when my dog and children are together.
I will not allow my dog to infringe on the rights of others.
  • I will not allow my dog to run loose in the neighborhood.
  • I will not allow my dog to be a nuisance to others by barking while in the yard, in a hotel room, etc.
  • I will pick up and properly dispose of my dog’s waste in all public areas such as on the grounds of hotels, on sidewalks, parks, etc.
  • I will pick up and properly dispose of my dog’s waste in wilderness areas, on hiking trails, campgrounds and in off-leash parks.
I will be responsible for my dog’s quality of life.
  • I understand that basic training is beneficial to all dogs.
  • I will give my dog attention and playtime.
  • I understand that owning a dog is a commitment in time and caring.

1 comment:

  1. Well done to Jedi. Congratulations. Have a terrific Thursday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete