Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Tack Box

I sent in the premiums for Jedi's first four shows this weekend. Jedi is going to be a bona fide show dog. We're doing:
  • the Sunshine State Herding Group Association show on Friday, September 20th
  • the West Volusia Kennel Club all-breed show on Saturday, September 21st
  • and both Jacksonville Dog Fancier's Association all-breed shows on Saturday and Sunday, September 28 and 29th.
I even reserved a hotel for the night of the 20th. Whew. I'm excited. And a bit anxious. So now I'm trying to prepare. It's hard when you're not sure what you're doing.

Hubby picked up this bag at
Target to hold Jedi's show crap.
A good friend of mine suggested I pack a tack box. I said "A what?" She kindly explained what it was and then sent me an email that said "Here is a list of crap I keep in my tack box." 
  • Treats, toys, poop bags
  • Neck coolers or Misty Mate
  • Spray bottles with water and other coat products
  • Toenail trimmers or grinders, nail file
  • A shedding blade and/or slicker
  • Brush/comb
  • Scissors, tweezers, magnifying glass
  • Traveling dryer, washcloth and hand towel
  • Hand sanitizer and disinfecting wipes
  • Leave-in coat bodifiers and conditioners
  • Extra leash, collar and lunge line
  • Black and brown magic markers
  • Water jug (most show sites don't have a good and easy access to water)
  • Copy of dogs’ paperwork and shot records
  
Also, a first aid kit with:
  • Thermometer, Vaseline
  • Book of matches
  • Antiseptic liquid, Benadryl, Hydrogen peroxide, Bag Balm
  • Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate, Aspirin
  • Liquid bandage, Steri strips (they come in all sizes)
  • Sterile eye wash, plastic syringes
  • Sterile non-stick pads, roll of gauze, self-adherent wrap
  • Silver nitrate sticks and Quikclot
  • Medical tape, rubber gloves

All this zips up into a
little red bag!
Now I'm off to buy my own "crap." I found this neat first aid kit in the automotive section of Wal-Mart for under $10. It has half the recommended stuff and I can supplement the rest. Plus, it's a handy little bag.

How about you? Do you have a "tack box"? And if so, what do you keep inside it? I'd really like to know! -- K

No comments:

Post a Comment