Monday, February 15, 2016

Awww...Awkward? No, Ambivert

I saw this on Facebook the other day. I laughed, but then thought "It's really not that awkward."


Let me explain: I've always been a bit weird when it comes to dealing with people. Sometimes I just love people. I'll be invigorated by a large crowd. Concerts, amusement parks and sporting events can be very exciting. I feed off the energy. Other times, I may prefer intimate dinners, game nights with friends and backyard barbecues, but the rush from being with people is the same. Friends joke that if you slap a name tag on my shirt, I'll talk to anybody. If you meet this Kelley, you'd swear I'm an extrovert.  

Other times, I'm quiet and standoffish. Sometimes being around people is emotionally draining. I have turned off my phone because answering texts or playing Words with Friends is a chore. I've walked out of places feeling overwhelmed by the crowd. I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I've hidden behind sales racks to avoid people I know at the store, just so I don't have to talk to them. I've spent entire weekends in my pajamas watching Netflix and eating junk food. It's not that I don't like people, it's just that I need time to recharge my batteries. If you meet this Kelley you would definitely label me as an introvert. Yet it's the same person as the extrovert above.

Sounds weird, hunh? I've recently discovered there's a term for this. I'm ambiverted, and it's more common than you think. So what does this have to do with dogs? (Seriously, this is Kelley's Dog Blog after all.)

Short answer: Everything! Dogs just "get it." When I'm feeling sociable and outgoing, the dogs are right there with me, barking and bouncing. I'll talk a mile a minute. The dogs have no idea what I'm saying, but listen anyway. And when I'm feeling antisocial and withdrawn, the dogs are right there. They'll lie next to me, enjoying the silence. They never expect me to be on, or to try to make me feel guilty for being quiet. 

Let's face it: Dogs are awesome!

So of course I talk to them more than I talk to people. No offense to the people who read my blog. (Though to be honest, my regular readers are a bunch of dog-lovin' weirdos like me -- I'm sure most of them prefer the company of canines too.) Here's another relevant thing I pulled off Facebook:


So who can relate? Anyway, it's Awww...Monday. I probably made you say "Awww...WTF is up with her?!" But I'm betting the other bloggers below will give you an "Awww" sweet enough to brighten your Monday. See for yourself. -- K


No comments:

Post a Comment