Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Tips for a First Timer

I'm a member of multiple dog show Facebook groups. Most of them regurgitate the same stuff over and over and/or complain about judges. Seriously, I don't know why I follow these groups! Invariably, something good pops up just as I'm contemplating leaving the group. Last week there was this →

I read through all the responses -- there were about 150 when I finished. Many of the tips were the same, but there were a few that made me say wow. I tried to condense and categorize all the information (because that's how my brain processes information). And then I thought "Hey, other people might like this stuff too." So here you go: things to do before going in the ring, while in the ring and after exiting the ring. There's also a group of miscellaneous tips …. just because I didn't know how to categorize them.

Before
  • Set one realistic goal (i.e. get dog around the ring without tripping over him)
  • Double-check your tack box
  • Pack a lunch
  • Bring extra water for you and your dog
  • Bring a crate and crate cover for your dog
  • Bring your own chairs
  • Bring cash for parking
  • Get there early
  • Take time decompress (both you and dog) before going in the ring
  • Double-check ring time
  • Walk your dog beforehand to work out any jitters
  • Find your ring
  • Potty before going in the ring (both you and your dog)
  • Watch the judge’s ring procedures
  • Don’t block the ring entrance while waiting to go in

During
  • Breathe
  • Remember to smile
  • Have fun
  • Make sure your dog has fun
  • Look at the judge (not your feet)
  • Don’t be afraid to tell the judge that you are new
  • Peppermint Altoids will mask the adrenaline in your breath and hide your nerves from your dog
  • Use gentle hands on the lead and on your dog to counter nerves (he can feel the tension)
  • Wear a ring on a different finger. It will bug you, but will keep your mind off being nervous
  • Keep a good distance between dogs
  • Don't run up on other dogs
  • ALWAYS congratulate the winner

After
  • Don’t be too hard on yourself; whatever mistakes you make have been made by a thousand people before you
  • If your dog is awarded points, check the results in the judge’s book to make sure they are correct
  • Stay to watch the winners

Miscellaneous
  • Remember, no matter what the judge says, you’re going home with the best dog
  • Watch in crowds to keep dogs’ faces away from each other so aggravated dogs don’t nip (it happens)
  • Poop bags -- bring them, use them, have extras for those who don't
  • Befriend a fancier of another breed
  • Watch professional handlers

Other helpful posts from the past:
Do you feel empowered now? No?! How about a little less terrified? Me too. I keep wondering when I can finally say "I've got this." I'll let you know. Until then, I'll just listen to Joyce Meyer:


See you around the ring! -- K


No comments:

Post a Comment